Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Women's History Month

As others look forward to Christmas, birthdays, Mardi Gras or any other cause for celebration, I look with excitement towards Women's History Month. Each year, I scour the newspaper & internet to see what events I might attend, so I might gain inspiration from the works of other feminists and activists.

With the present war on women being waged in America, I feel it's all the more important that women bond together in a stance of solidarity. We can not afford to allow those in political positions to have profoundly negative effects upon our health, our livelihoods, our families and our rights to chose.

I am not a feminist who feels that marriage is counter-productive to gender equality, nor am I prone to "male bash." I am, however, impassioned in my want to further the advancements of women and will offer no apologies for my pursuit of this.

Our lack of voting & pursuits in activism, along with our submissive silence, has given those in power our permissive approval to rid our nation of equality. Apathy has given rise to a revival of legislation which stifles the rights of women and I wish to shake my sisters to wake them to the travesties we're facing.

Though I do often point out the wrong doings men who use their power to usurp the advancements of women, I think it is just as needed that we give accolades to our fellow woman. For that reason, I am starting this blog.

Far too often our words are harmful to our sisters when we should instead use any voice we might have to uplift one another. I have made a vow that I will speak no ill will of another woman, nor bring harm in any purposeful fashion to any female in the coming month.

I am not without faults and too have been guilty of harshly judging other women when I had no right to. I hope to transition this into a mental and oratory evolution that will inspire others to make the same vow.

So, if I were to be asked if I could have any super power, what might it be...my power would be to bridge the gap between other women and help to further my dreams of gender equality.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I am recalled to think of how the first thing Obama did in his presidency was sign the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay act, an amazing stride forward for women's equality, and it never made the news, of course. I run a group here locally in Washington called Glitter Whores. It currently has 220 members. We had a wonderful time supporting Slut Walk in Seattle last year to give a voice against victim blaming and shaming when we get raped. Our group's purpose is to allow women to awaken to their inner power, their healing energy, their love, and to also take back the words "whore" and "slut". It bothers me when I hear women using whore and slut in a derogatory reference to one another. Sacred Whores and Temple Sluts were some of the most highly revered women in the village, but now, in the enslaved society of today, their power has been stripped by just the mere switching of the meaning of a word. What we do is VERY important as we tackle all angles of fighting the oppression women have lived under for far to long. I support you, ReeCee. You're beautiful inside and out.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Gender Equality Girl. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by WP Themes Master | Price of Silver